Diversity & Inclusion Policy
Sport can play a powerful role in:
- Contributing to the development of healthier communities and individuals
- Increasing social connection and shaping acceptable social norms through education
- Promoting multiculturalism and diversity through inclusive behaviours
Research shows that lower than average participation rates in some population groups, compounded by discrimination when participating in sport. It is important that Ball Magnets takes an active leadership role in supporting and encouraging diverse participation in all aspects of Football, including in coaching, Training, Playing and administrative roles.
This policy is based on
- Inclusion principles - access, participation and support
- Essence of Australian Sport principles – fair play, respect, responsibility and safety
- Requirements under anti-discrimination and equal opportunity laws
This policy promotes:
- Social and community values
- The importance of valuing both participation and competition
- A respectful approach that values difference and diversity between people
- Treatment of people with respect, dignity and courtesy
- Good behaviour on and off the field (in line with the respective leagues codes of conduct)
- Equal opportunity and a fair go for all customers, members and participants.
This policy covers all Ball Magnets areas of authority and applies to everyone involved in the activities of Ball Magnets including Directors, staff, talent, content creators, volunteers, players, coaches, administrators, parents and stakeholders.
The purpose of this policy is to help Ball Magnets take action to promote inclusion and prevent and manage problems associated with discrimination within Community Football. Our aim is to provide an environment where all people feel:
- Included in decision making
- Able to participate
- Safe and free from discrimination, bullying, harassment and vilification.
Ball Magnets embraces diversity and difference and is committed to providing healthy sporting environments that are safe, inclusive, accessible and equitable. This commitment includes a focussed approach to actively encouraging and supporting the inclusion of, people of different genders, age, ethnicity, ability, religion, income, sexuality and race in all aspects of sport in general. Our approach will be meaningful to each individual and equitable to all participants involved in Australian Rules Football.
Ball Magnets’ Commitment
Ball Magnets has adopted the following strategies to ensure its commitment to being an inclusive organisation for its employees, stakeholders and customers. Ball Magnets will:
- Actively identify and reduce barriers to participation for minority and under-represented populations
- Consult with the community groups, affiliates and make strong relationships with other organisation to facilitate inclusive practices and remove barriers to participation
- Ensure minority populations are given the opportunity to participate in all aspect of Australian Rules Football and sport in general.
- Provide opportunities for all in content creating, administrating, management and officiating positions.
- Continue to provide Member Protection training for Ball Magnets staff and affiliates
- Review processes for recruitment onto Ball Magnets subcommittees, boards, paid position, volunteer positions
- Require our members to undertake practices that actively encourage and support participation by all, ensuring diversity is recognised, respected, valued and welcomed.